Economical Ways to Repair or Replace Your Aging Roof
Most rental renovations or fix and flips will include renovating or replacing the roof. Knowing what to look for will help budgeting a project including labor costs. Roof issues must be addressed before a sagging roof or other structural damage destroys the entire building.
Looking good from the ground and being acceptable are entirely different aspects. Most traditional roofing materials were meant to last approximately 25-30 years. Repairing or replacing the roof with newer materials can be one of the largest ROI portions of the project.
If the current covering material is not close to the roof anymore, moisture is likely between the covering and the roof. Ignoring this can mean warranty issues for the project down the road. It is best to budget for a strong roof to cover a durable project. Patching to replace curled or missing shingles may work if the underlying roof has not been damaged, but permanent repairing is likely a better choice.
Adding roof renovation to a project requires research into current materials:
- Asphalt Shingles have been used for years due to ease of installation and lower costs. Variations of colors and textures can help them to blend into the rest of the home design for fix and flip projects, but last only 20-25 years.
- Metal Roofing has become popular as roofing replacement material. Several metals including aluminum, stainless steel, and copper are commonly used. Shingle style and panels are recyclable and a good choice for ecological rainwater harvesting. Metal is more expensive than asphalt shingles, but a proper installation can last 40-75 years.
- Wood Shingles and Shake is one of the most beautiful natural roofing materials. They are not the best material for all areas, projects, or climates. Fire prone areas may not be approved for wood shingles even with fire-resistant coating. Wet climates are detrimental to wood shingles. Rotting, molding, splitting, and other damage can result from overly wet conditions. For an area suited for them, they often last 25-30 years.
- Synthetic Roofing materials can be a choice in the proper climate. Finding homes with synthetic roofing over 10 years old can determine how they fair in your area. They are lightweight, less expensive than natural products and durable. Some synthetic materials carry warranties up to 50 years making them an acceptable fix and flip material.
- Solar Roofing Shingles have become a more cost-effective way to renovate with energy conscious projects. New material advancements and other breakthroughs have made solar roofing shingles a viable option.
According to the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) weight is an important factor when considering roof renovation or replacement. If the replacement materials weigh more than the current materials, additional bracing for the structure may be needed. Slate though expensive can last 50-100 years, but is heavy and needs additional framing in most cases. For this reason, it is not often used in a fix and flip or rental renovation projects.
During the process of choosing a general contractor, their views on roofing replacement materials and procedures is vital for the profitability of the project. Finding the most economical and durable roofing material for each individual project is extremely important.